Friday, February 11, 2011

Beginning Knitting 101 and Friendship

Quick note: at the time I am typing this out… my stupid cable modem box is sitting near the door to be taken in and replaced. This will probably be posted after my knitting class.  By then, at least I’ll have working internet! Yay!!!



No, I’m not going to do a tutorial on how to knit, but I do have a beginning knitting class that I will be attending for the first time ever tonight. I am very excited!!! My current skills are very basic. I can knit, and I can purl. That’s it. If I mess up and miss a stitch, I have no clue how to fix it. I can knit a scarf, and I’ve found instructions that I’m able to follow from a magazine on how to make wristlets. The true reason I am taking this class though is to spend time with an old friend of mine who I rarely get to see. We spoke about taking a knitting class several years ago when we found out we both had an interest in learning! This has yet to happen. Now this friend of mine and I… We are fortunate if we are able to see each other twice in a year, and that does make me sad. As working mothers, we both find it difficult to find time that coincides in order to spend a bit of time together.


I have much to learn in my lifetime, and find that I know nothing more and more every day. The world has so much more to teach me, but I feel fortunate to have learned one thing… albeit the hard way. Life without friends who are supportive and love you for who you are is a hard life not just for you, but for those closest to you (kids, spouses, etc…). For me, my girlfriends are an integral part of my life… those who help me to keep my sanity. Without them, I would be miserable. And with them, I have chosen to be honest about me and my life and they still love me.


I was not always this way. I never lied to my friends, but I failed to let my girlfriends know who I really was when I became an “adult”. Everything was hidden nicely away if it wasn’t “good”. Everyone believed that my first marriage and my life at the time was perfect. So after 11 years of marriage, when I announced that I was leaving my husband at the time… it was a shock to everyone who knew me. Please don’t get me wrong… there is so much more to the story of my first marriage, and so much more to the story of not being true to myself or to my friends, but then this post would be incredibly long. I doubt that this would be of interest!!! 


It is still very difficult for me with 2 active school age children, a FT career that I am still new to the profession, a husband who also has a FT career and obtaining his graduates degree full time, and aging parents who depend on me and my family to find time to spend with my friends. But I have learned to work very hard to keep my friendships alive, renew old friendships, be true to them, and more importantly learn to be true to myself. Although this may take time away from my family, it gives them a wife/mother/daughter who is able to stay focused on their needs as well because I am happy.


Many people often send and receive those e-mails about true friendships between girlfriends. Although I do not forward these on normally (Being a former IT person, it makes me cringe to think about all of the malware that the e-mail could carry and get infected into my own computer), but I do appreciate them. It serves as a reminder, at least for me, that friends, especially girlfriends, are an integral part of my sanity.


So tonight, after a very long week of work, homework, basketball, etc… I will go home, grab my knitting needles and head to my first ever Beginning Knitting 101 class to sit and enjoy a company of a friend sitting beside me, grab some coffee afterwards at the nearest Starbucks, and appreciate the fact that I have people in my life that I can truly call my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment